Spokane Valley Police Officer Samuel Turner is credited for assisting in the successful resuscitation of a 2-year-old who had fallen into a decorative pond and was not breathing last week.
Turner arrived within three minutes and took over care from the child’s father, who had begun CPR, said Deputy Mark Gregory, police spokesman. When Turner transferred the care of the child to Spokane Valley Fire personnel, she had begun to breathe on her own.
At approximately 7:45 p.m. May 4, Spokane Valley officers and Spokane Valley Fire responded to a residence in the 11100 block of East 10th Avenue for a call of a child who had fallen into a pool (decorative pond), was not breathing and the child’s father had begun CPR.
Turner arrived within three minutes and began to care for the child, who was completely limp, not breathing and beginning to turn blue. As Turner worked to revive the child, he was able to expel water from the child’s mouth while providing chest compressions.
When he transferred the child’s care to Spokane Valley Fire personnel, she had begun to breathe on her own. With advanced life-support training and equipment, firefighters continued lifesaving efforts, eventually regaining a pulse.
The child was transported to a local hospital and, as of late last week, is listed in serious condition.
Deputies learned the child was being supervised in the back yard but was left unattended for a couple minutes while the other children at the location were checked on. She was found not breathing in a decorative pond and CPR was immediately provided while 9-1-1 was called.
Life-threatening incidents like this can happen very quickly and, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website, “drownings are a leading cause of injury death for young children ages 1 to 14, and three children die every day as a result of drowning. In fact, drowning kills more children 1-4 than anything else except birth defects.”
“This incident could have had a very tragic ending if the child’s father hadn’t immediately began CPR, coupled with the quick response and actions of Deputy Turner and the advanced life support and care provided by Spokane Valley Fire personnel,” Gregory said.
Accidental drownings can happen in a bathtub or anywhere, even in an inch or two of water, if a parent or guardian happens to be distracted. As summer approaches, be mindful and take precautions to help ensure your child’s safety around potential water dangers, even kiddie pools, he added.